Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Narrative Time Line: Overcoming hurdles

It sounds like there may be a few of us working on the narrative time line at the same time (me, Femmista, tgr, Kel, and perhaps others: Linera? Ghost Girl? Mrs. Han Solo? Thea? Angela? Dawgma and Jordan are still in Artist's Way).

How has the narrative time line been for you?
What's worked? What hasn't worked?

It's a big hurdle for me. Big enough that I've focused on the tools (walks, morning pages, and dates) for the last two or three weeks.

I need to move through the Time Line. In some fashion. My childhood wasn't as bleak as the photo....

5 comments:

Linera Lucas said...

I'm doing the daily morning pages and the walk and the weekly Artist Date. So far so good; these I can make time for.

I've started the Narrative Time Line, but either I've been particularly busy, or I'm especially resistant, or ??? I can't do it in little bits of time, and I haven't had or made a big chunk of time to complete it.

Ms. Theologian said...

Yes, that's about where I am.

Interesting. :)

I also wish I were 10-20 years younger because it would be shorter!

Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

I'm starting to feel like the Artist's Way is a vortex I've gotten trapped in and can't find my way out of. How is it possible I'm still only on week 9? Unfortunately the end of writing/revising my book has made me a bad bad girl. No morning pages for 3 days now. I've been doing evening pages, but I don't think they count?"

Ms. Theologian said...

Often I find I can't do morning pages and I stare at the blank pages for 15 or 20 minutes before giving up. :)

This Girl Remembers said...

The morning pages are the one thing I've actually been really consistent about so far. But I've had to force myself to do them. This morning I stalled out after a single page and it took forever for me to eke out another two. There's some benefit to all this, right? :)

I need to get back to the timeline. I've let it sit for the last week. I think I've got to just start writing - it's the notes part that overwhelms me. There are just so many bits to remember... ugh. I do think it's been good for me, though, even the little bit I've done so far - I'm finding some really clear themes about who I was and how that little girl is connected to the person I am now. It's been a while since I've thought much about her.